Help with list view threshold error

I am sure we have all encountered the list-view threshold limit of 5000 items many times. However, this is a scenario I have not encountered: We have libraries that exceed the threshold limit that the users have organized into folders. I am recommending splitting these out into different libraries to keep below the threshold but Microsoft articles advise that this is a reasonable way to manage large lists.

Here is my problem: what if I want to change the URL of the site? When I go to change the site title and URL I am hit with an error prohibiting the operation due to exceeding the 5000 item threshold. I assume that this is because SharePoint is updating each list item with the new site URL as the path for the item is a hidden metadata field.

Are we expected to never change the site name if we have large lists or am I missing something? I will get around this issue in the short-term by splitting the library but I am unsure what to tell future clients, especially since I can't find any articles on this specific issue online.

Please provide your suggestions / advice / recommendations by means of COMMENTS

4 comments:

  1. You should be able to increase the list threshold as long as you have access to Central Admin

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to overcome this problem if performed by a farm admin or the farm account. The threshold does not apply to the farm account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are the exact details on this-
    http://sharepointknowledgebase.blogspot.com/2013/05/list-view-threshold-in-sharepoint-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a separate threshold applies to the Farm Admin. By default this threshold is 20,000 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262787(v=office.15).aspx#ListLibrary

    As other have said the threshold can be changed but this is not a best practice.

    It is very likely this was an oversight by Microsoft, as the list-view threshold shouldn't be executed when updating the URL of a library. You are not viewing all your data but instead relying on a job to update the URL of all items.

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always appreciated!!!

Popular Posts